“STRUGGLING TO FIND AFFORDABLE SPACE TO DEVELOP NEW LARGE-SCALE CREATIVE WORK? THEN MAKE US AN OFFER…”
That’s what BMBC and Barnsley Museums are saying as they open up the fantastic space that is Building 21 for potential artist occupations.
Building 21 is a fantastic large multi use venue in the former industrial village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire. It currently hosts a range of events from music gigs, conferences, craft shows and antique fairs. Barnsley Museums say, ‘We are inviting artists, performers and arts organisations to Make us an Offer that is affordable to you, to hire the space for 3 day creative development occupations’ in which to research, explore and develop new large-scale work.’
What we can offer applicants
– Sole use of Building 21 for the 3 days (Tuesday – Thursday)*
– Safe, secure working space that is guarded by 24 hour security
– Onsite access to facilities and tea and coffee making area/green room.
– Fantastic location for PR shots and press invites
– Marketing support for any engagement activities
* Please note: We would consider longer occupations if the application includes a more intensive public engagement element. Longer occupations will depend on Building 21 being free from external hires or other programmed activity.
What we expect from applicants
– Suitable proposal with clear aims
– Appropriate £5M public liability insurance and DBS checks (formerly CRB) if required
– Use of occupation images to support the scheme and wider promotion of Building 21
– At least one element of public engagement, this could be a public sharing of work (or elements of work) created,
workshop or public consultation on new work or end of occupation exhibition.
– Recognition of Building 21 and the ‘Make us an Offer’ scheme in any future applications for your work or press relating to the work where appropriate.
Building 21 is a 60 x 20 metre (at it widest) space with a 4 metre working height restriction. It has toilets and shower facilities and a separate room with tea and coffee making facilities.
Please send your occupation proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly state how much you are able to offer as rent for the three days.